The main communication method for sharing projects, ideas, forum, etc was our ning. Now that Ning is costing us money it's not an option. (I need more than the basic level of Ning because of all the video content). I'm decided that Youtube is going to be the medium of choice for sharing which cuts out another level of signup and account creation for students.
I'm on my way down to Arkansas this coming Friday. Luckily I've been able to get the funding for my flight and sub costs to go and participate in some of the best PD that I will ever get. It's what amounts to job shadowing but with a twist: I'm going to be put to work in everything that Jim does. They've even sent out a press release about my arrival!
Here are a few things that I'm told I'll be participating in:
1. Broadcasting a high school football game to local cable
2. Supervising and experiencing Homecoming at a US High School
3. Commuting 1hr + to school each morning
4. Touring CBS affiliate TV stations
5. Taking part in the students' television news broadcasts
6. Taking a Final Cut Pro Exam
7. Faculty staff meeting
8. Teaching students how to talk with a Canadian accent! :)
I'm sure there's more in store as well! Every couple of days Jim has been emailing me to tell me of another opportunity he's arranged with me. I plan to blog daily while I'm there including video for my students back home.
Stepping back for a moment it's amazing that we've been able to connect. It's really all because of the willingness of both involved to use technology available to us to SHARE our ideas. Jim has been a great mentor to me and hopefully some of what I've been doing has rubbed off on him too!
See you Friday Arkansas!